Friday, July 15, 2011

Teaching English and Writing

I'm teaching English 4 university prep and writing to grade 9 and 10 this summer at Pearson International College in North York, Ontario.  I have been using my English grammar text which I have used to make power point presentations. All of my students are Chinese. I was really surprised to see how little grammar they had been taught. Our Ontario curriculum really needs to be amended to include more grammar and writing fundamentals. What use is it to focus on reading while we neglect grammar. Its like we expect kids to learn the rules of grammar and apply them with explaining why. One of my students actually said how much fun my last lesson was. The lesson ended with grammar "Jeopardy". The class is small and I had them give answers to grammatical errors on the white board. The headmaster heard them and came in the class to see why they were so excited. He wants me to show the lower grade teacher how to play grammar "Jeopardy". What I did was to take errors from their essays and have them correct them. I always teach my students the importance of the writing process plan, write, proofread. Poor proofreading gave me enough errors to play the game. Any English teacher can set up the game and the kids really like seeing their work on screen, even if it is their mistakes. Example " Melanie Tom Joe and Leslie came to class without their books" Question where do commas belong in a series of subjects. Jing Shu  now know about punctuating compound subjects ``Melanie, Tom, Joe and Leslie". Its can be adapted for foreign language classes using verb conjugation, sentence structure, spelling and vocabulary. Its fun and makes the kids feel good about their work even their mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment